4.19.2007

a great black wave in the middle of the sea

So here I am, feeling down and hoping to exorcise some emotional/intellectual demons on my slice of Blogistan.
This week has been one of the ugliest weeks of news I can remember. In one week we have had several horrible events and I just want it to be known that I am paying attention. For those who haven't had the time, energy, or impetus, here's the news since Monday:
  1. A disaffected student unleashed his frustration with anonymity on the campus of Virginia Tech University. 33 are dead. Millions are mourning. And, to add insult to martyrdom, the student sent a YouTube-style package to NBC to tell us all why we're wrong. I know I'm wrong. I didn't need a pathological individual to prove it to me.
  2. This has been one of the bloodiest weeks in the 4-year "conflict" in Iraq. Close to 200 people died in 24 hours of bombings and, according to The Great Decider, more will die before Iraq embraces Christianity, Democracy, and the pursuit of opulence.
  3. In a 5-4 decision, supreme court justices denounced years of progress toward upholding a woman's right to choose, thus imparting an religio-ethical decision on human rights. It was a major victory for the current commander in chief. Hopefully those victories will be fewer and farther in between for the last 500 or so days of his iron grip on the world.
This is an utterly selfish post for I have hoped that writing it all down might make me feel better. I'm not sure it has worked. I guess I'll go back to watching this video showcasing a musical act, Arcade Fire (to whom I credit the title of this post), repeatedly. It seems they are trying to use theater to show us all how to get up and move in the right direction.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Ben,

Add to that the loss of Mr. Vonnegut (as you posted about earlier) and this indeed has been a dark time. At the risk of seeming sappy, knowing there are people like you in the world makes it a little easier to digest horrific news and occurrences like the ones you mentioned. We should worry when we stop caring about these types of things and become as desensitized as the majority of the general populace seems to be at times.

Here's to keeping our collective heads up...

Hearandnow said...

Thanks, buddy. I appreciate it.