4.05.2007

final cuts

Well, after about a 6 weeks of work, I finally was able to get a rough cut together of my little video, 'Information: the new Ritalin.' It took quite a bit of post-production wrangling to get it in to a watchable state. But I am happy with the way things eventually turned out.

I'm still amazed how much more work it took to get live video in HD1080i60 in the same sequence as computer screen capture in HD1080p30. Let's just say there was a lot of math and garbage matte layering involved, and leave it at that.

However, I got some really positive feedback and I am in a good position to tighten up what I have now into a solid final cut. I would like to be able to post a clip, but I don't really know how I would do that. The video is in 1920X1080 resolution, and a lot of it is in an even wider aspect ratio (something like 2.5:1), making it pretty unfit for streaming on even the fastest connections and/or viewing on anything less than a nice LCD or HD display.

It was also tough getting the dialogic screen capture text readable from more than about 2 feet from a screen. I plan to keep cracking at it, but I'm not really sure I have the technical chops to "make it go."

All in all, working in video again was a really satisfying experience and I'm glad the audience who has seen it found it mildly thought-provoking. That's about all I was aspiring toward.

-cheers

1 comment:

Edwin Chicory said...

hey Ben,
just wanted to pick your brain for
information. based on your street cred i knew you would be the man to come to in regards to rowing. Jackie has been interested in learning how to row and finding a place in the area if there are any. thanks. hope you and tammy are well. talk to you soon. catch up either on the bfc, or e-mail me at gillooly@gmail.com