9.14.2006

Computers, the bane of our existence

Last night I set out to design a web page for my visual representation of chapter 6 from the text. I was designing a page similar to the one Jade made, using a layered navigation scheme and a single url. I haven't really ever designed a page in layers (though I have wanted to learn it), so it took me quite a while to get the navigation set up. I finished the page around noon today, and I was just going to add it to the site I manage with a discrete url.

But, naturally, when I went to upload the files to our network server (where I work) I came to find that the firewall that was installed this very morning had displaced our network drive and I couldn't get acces to it. AHHHH!

I don't yet have a site I host -- though this is as much impetus as I need to set one up -- so I spent most of the afternoon breaking apart the layers I had designed, converting them to jpg's in Photoshop, then dropping them in a Powerpoint slide show. But, since I don't have a site to host the .ppt on, I am just emailing it to myself and Professor Dawson for use in our class.

I love how humbling technology can be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The easy way:

Create a slop gmail account. Email the files to yourself. Give the password to anybody who needs access.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Perhaps this is one feature LMS should have built in -- Web folders for students.

Hearandnow said...

Thanks for the tip on the scrap email account. And I certainly agree with you on the need for some sort of web folder in LMSs. I'm sure a built-in ftp server could be built into an LMS -- though it's probably already done somewhere.