9.11.2006

Tech, history, and future...

I found this article on CNet I thought you all might find interesting in the context of our Ed Tech history reading. The author discusses returning to UC Berkeley 1.5 years after graduation and being overwhelmed by how tech-savvy the current students at her alma mater have become. Her references are purely anecdotal, and sometimes downright silly, but the topic is one virtually everyone feels.

My major issue with the article has to do with an analogy she tries to draw between Peer To Peer file sharing and vinyl records:
I grew up in an age when pirated music was prevalent; to me, the idea of paying for music online is still somewhat strange. I might as well go out and buy the CD for a similar price or cheaper, and get some great cover art while I'm at it. I guess to this bunch of college kids, CD art is as foreign as vinyl. Do I smell a generation gap?
As someone who actually enjoys buying music on vinyl, I think the author should know vinyl is selling more now than it has in almost 15 years. With a 12" canvas, the buyer really gets to see what the artist had in mind to accompany their music visually. And many record labels have made a very smart move by offering the buyer a coupon with a password allowing the buyer to download the album for play on their mp3 player.

-Ben

ps.........don't steal music.



No comments: