9.21.2006

Positioning Part Deux

I intend on exploring the various theories and applications of information architecture. IA is "the practice of structuring information for a purpose (wikipedia.com)." I have always felt a strong subjective connection to all forms of visual media, yet I lack the theoretical knowledge to articulate why I appreciate, or glean information, from certain visual stimuli and not others. I think fortifying my knowledge of the develoment, assessment, and distribution of information systems will greatly enhance my ability to create instructional media.

Web design is a major focus in the study of IA. I started reading Robin Williams Web Design Workbook (which I plan to critique for my book review) and I am really intrigued with the way Williams presents her ideas. In the book, Williams practices what she preaches by reinforcing her theory with real-world examples and experience, ranging from screen shots to pictorial examinations of advertising materials.

I have also ordered a book called Ambient Findability by Peter Morville. This one takes a more theoretical stance in the investigation of psychological phenomena involved in searching and utilizing interactive information systems. I am compiling a RefWorks database (thanks again, Mary) with citations for articles, studies, and dissertations on IA with a focus on instruction.

My research will cuminate with a paper I plan to publish to a web server as a pdf, ideally with hyperlinks, embedded images, and possibly video.

Here goes....

No comments: